Stone Masonry is the craft of shaping rough pieces of rock into accurate geometrical shapes, at times simple, but can also be of considerable complexity. The Stones are then arranged, often together with mortar, to form structures. Stone masonry is a highly skilled art as each individual stone must be cut and tailored to fit into the required space. The practice has to be carried out by hand and on site without the help of modern technology.
The work usually undertaken consists of:
- Fixer masons specialize in the fixing of stones onto buildings, using lifting tackle, and traditional lime mortars and grouts.
- Metal fixings, from simple dowels and cramps to specialised single application fixings. The precise tolerances necessary make this a highly skilled job.
The style of work carried out is called: Stone Veneer: Stone veneer is used as a protective and decorative covering for interior or exterior walls and surfaces. The structural wall is put up first, and thin, flat stones are mortared onto the face of the wall. Metal tabs in the structural wall are mortared between the stones to tie everything together, to prevent the stonework from separating from the wall.
There are many benefits to using natural stone veneer
- As a building material, natural stone contains no pollutants that are damaging to the health
- Natural stone ages well
- It is very durable
- Stones are not only beautiful construction materials they also enhance the resale value of your home
- Constructions made of concrete can be vulnerable to environmental agents such as heat and water. Using stone veneer helps protect your property
- Natural Stones absorb radiation and release heat gradually, helping to keep the room temperatures constant. They also protect from heat in the summer helping to keep your property cooler.